Friday, January 18, 2008

Daggers...

Jon wanted the post to be titled that... For the record...

Anywho. The past 24 hours have been eventful to say the least. We've been threatened with hospital admissions, taking many vital signs at home, lots of advil, and fever. FEVER. You heard me correctly. Jon spiked a fever yesterday afternoon after coming home from the treatment that wasn't. We weren't too worried at first, but when it came up and hovered around 101.5 I called shenanigans on the whole deal and told him a phone call to the Doctor was in order. Our on call Physician ordered us straight to the hospital, unfortunately my timing wasn't the greatest when making the phone call. It was 5pm, dinner was being served to the kids, the au pair was off in an hour, and we had just gotten over 4" of fresh fluffy icy snow... How on earth was I to get him to the hospital? So we did what any normal kids would do... We called our parents. Jon's folks got on the road immediately and arrived just in time for his fever to break and for him to inform me that we were NOT going to the hospital. Bullheaded he is. Smart, he is not. Anyway, I listened to his reasons for not going, and called our Doctor back. She agreed (halfheartedly) and went to talk with another Physician on call. They called us back with parameters by which he absolutely HAD to come in... We agreed and the rest of the night went fairly uneventfully. We were pleased to have Jon's folks there in case of a middle of the night emergency, I felt much more prepared. I would hate to have to wake our neighbor up to have to come and sit with the kids...
This morning came and we drove off to the Infusion office, they were very accommodating... Everyone seemed to be aware of our situation and how important this was. It certainly made us feel well taken care of. After getting settled in we were seen by a whole myriad of folks and got his blood drawn for cultures, as well as a shot of neupogen to help boost his white blood cell count. We're currently receiving a dose of vancomycin... I'd like to say that it's been going smoothly, but much like the past 24 hours, it's been a bit bumpy. Jon looked over at me about 30 minutes ago and I thought he looked pink. When he itched his head I tried to brush it off. 5 minutes later, I looked over and he resembled something out of a crayola box. He topped off the red coloring with a vigorous face rub. I then asked him if he felt ok... He looked at me with his beet red face and said "uh huh. I'm fine" Sure you are... This would be where I slowly got up from my chair and grabbed the closest Nurse to me and said, "Yeah... We've got a problem" and pointed at the glowing man that was once my husband. It was pretty rapid that every SINGLE Nurse in this office was on my husband... Vitals, Saline, Monitors... Freaked out wife... No matter how versed you are in this world, it still freaks you out when it's happening to you husband, the father to your kids, the big cheese people! Anyhow, he's currently a more normal shade of pink, and looking pretty good. They've restarted him on the antibiotics again, and hopefully we'll have no more itching...On the downside his fever is beginning to creep up again, what that means I have no idea... But regardless the day has been really long, long day. LONG. I'm ready for a nap, a drink, a chocolate bar... Something. Jon is doing so well, he's being such a trooper. As usual he's making all the Nurses laugh, hamming it up with the other patients, and trying not to ask for much from me. We'll keep everyone updated as new things arise, but at this point we're hoping for no news. If you're praying for us, keep on praying!