Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Cancer McGillicutty...

Alrighty, where do I start. First things first, my wife is an accomplished blogger and has a pretty sweet site. We have 5 children: A set of two year old triplet boys and a set of one year old twin girls. So she has a lot to blog about :) I am starting this blog because 1.) I searched for an individuals blog that was my age and gender dealing with the affects of ABVD treatment for 6 months (12 total treatments). I saw some that were dated, and some that were different in treatment time and included radiation, but I did not see a ton that were exactly like mine. 2.) I thought a fresh perspective from 2007 wouldn't hurt people who have been diagnosed around the same time.

I wanted the following answers or as close as possible to the following:

- Will I be able to work and watch after my children during most of the six months of treatments?

- Should I watch out for any foods in particular?

- What were other's experience with weight loss or gain, energy highs and lows during the 6 month period?

I was really worried about work and children because I need to make arraingements as best as I can for the next six months. I have recently come to pay more attention to foods and which ones can be easier on nausea and mouth sores. The energy highs (or normals) and lows will be tracked via a bi-weekly graph.

Anyways, hopefully I can provide some info for others. Feel free to request any type of update or information I am not providing.

1 comment:

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Jon,

I'm a cancer blogging friend of Sandbandit's and just saw your comment which lead me to check out your blog. I did 6 months of abvd, finished in June this year. As for your q's about weight gain, loss, energy, and working -- here's how it was for me

I gained weight - about 25lbs. Why? Because I was eating like crap, feeling like crap, and not doing a whole heck of a lot except for sleeping.

Energy - I didn't have much. I worked for about a month and a half during chemo, then we decided I should go out on short term disability - it was a good choice, I needed my rest. For me I would get chemo on Thursdays, I would feel ok on Thursday, Friday and Saturday - just tired - and at the beginning all the way thru Monday, and by Tuesday I would start to feel crummy with body aches and headaches. Part of the reason - which took me forever to figure out - was the decadron, I would stop taking it on Sunday, and by Tuesday's my body would go into shock or something because of the lack of steroids.

Well I hope this helps. Do what's best for you, and keep up the blog, it's a great way to make cancer friends, update your friends and family, and to vent :)

Kelly